Paleo Eggplant Chips



The Farm CSA share program I'm doing at Farmer Joe's here in Wallingford, CT has been wonderful so far.  I only did the 1/2 share and I'm finding it's not enough to make it through the week.  I usually end up buying some extras like this week's eggplant.  Every week when I pick up my share there is usually a small sample of something they've cooked up with one of the vegetables from that week.  This week's recipe was Eggplant Chips and after tasting it I promptly bought some more eggplant for myself to try it out.  I think it's the first thing that didn't have some kind of sweetener added to it so I was doubly happy.  I dubbed this recipe "Paleo Eggplant Chips" since it fits the requirements.  It's basically just REAL food!  I happened to have some awesome lime flavored olive oil so that made them even more delish.  So here goes:

Eggplant
1 clove fresh garlic, finely minced or sliced very thinly as shown in the photo.
1 Tbsp. fresh sage or other herb - I used sage on some and oregano on others
Olive Oil
Salt

Night before:  slice all eggplant into thin disk slices.  Place in colander, layer sliced eggplant with healthy amounts of salt until all eggplant is in the colander.  Put a weight over the eggplant (pot filled with water works well) and let it sit overnight.  Note:  I did this but apparently you need to add a LOT of salt to get it to sweat because mine didn't look any different in the morning - and therefore were not as crispy as they should have been.  
Next day:  remove eggplant.  Rub olive oil on both sides.  
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Sprinkle favorite salt on top of chips (sparingly).  Press garlic over top of egplant and sprinkle with fresh sage or whatever herb you are using.  Place in oven and turn chips to cook evenly.  Remove when crispy.



Comments