Wine Review #1 - Goat Door Chardonnay

I really needed to get going on this wine and foodie blog. Tonight is the night. I'm going to start right at the bottom with a really, and I mean really, inexpensive wine I picked up at a local wine store recently. For $3.99 (I wasn't kidding about the el cheapo price) in the end cap isle, was a bottle of Goat Door, 2005 Chardonnay from South Africa. Now I have to tell you, I was eating a bowl of cauliflower covered in a dried Indian curry mixed spice mix when I took the first sip. The familiar oakiness of a Chardonnay jumped out at me, made me smile, and I thought I had a winner at $3.99 a bottle. Nevertheless, that feeling didn't last long.

The curry actually helped the taste along but when I was sipping the wine alone the flavors took on their own character when not in competition with the curry. I continued to taste the oakey flavor which I do indeed like. I also got a silky, buttery, feeling from the wine which I also like. There just seemed to be a sour back end to it that I didn't like. When I really searched for it I could taste a veeerrryy slight caramel taste or maybe that's what I was hoping for. All in all for the price it wasn't too bad. I would probably buy it again just for one of those nights when I would like to open a bottle of wine, have a glass with my meal and not worry about whether or not the rest went to waste.

Comments