Paleo 30-Day Experiment - Day 5

Day 5 of my dramatic lifestyle change...  Today started out well with a nice egg omelet with fresh spinach and tomatoes and a slice of deli chicken.  The deli chicken was gluten free, no antibiotics, yada yada.  Let's just say it fit the list and didn't list any strange ingredients nor did it have any sugar in it.  

I started a crock-pot of what was going to be a meat chili but turned into steak soup.  I chopped up four grass fed eye round steaks, quickly browned them and threw them in the pot.  Then I added a cut up yellow pepper, some minced shallots and garlic, and then some beef broth.  I didn't have any tomato sauce that worked for me but then I realized that tomato paste is only that - tomatoes.  Unless there is some other reason why that is not a good thing, then this is what I'll be using as a tomato base for anything that needs it.  No sodium, no sugar, no citric acid.  Works for me.

I went grocery shopping and stocked up on  some things.  Got a lot of fruits and veggies, some shrimp, scallops, and all things Paleo.  By the time I got home I was really hungry.  A couple more slices of the chicken meat with a cucumber before the shopping trip just didn't hold me too well.  Then I finally started having some pings of sugar cravings.  It doesn't help that all you smell all the way through Stew Leonard's is old fashioned donuts cooking and every section it seems someone is trying to get you to eat a sample of their food.  It's a really strange store.  You make your way through this maze so that rule of shopping on the ends for the produce and the meat doesn't hold true for Stewies :-).  More on the store on another post because I took pictures of my shopping trip.  They really have a beautiful presentation of food.

But, since I was starved when I got home and it would be a while before we ate the scallops I quickly baked up a batch of what Stew Leonard's calls "naked" for their no antibiotics, no hormone, organic chicken.  I was so hungry by the time they were finished and I didn't have any other emergency snacking food that I ate quite a few of them.

How do you like the "naked" chicken wings?  :-)  Baked with nothing more than some italian dried spices on them.



For the dinner (geez all I did was either think about food, buy food, make food and eat food today all day!) I made a 

Mediterranean Scallops

I pretty much followed a recipe off of a paleo website that is now defunct.  I used cherry tomatoes and added 1/2 a bag of fresh spinach and tossed it in the pan to wilt it down at the end and put that with the dish.  


Look at these fresh scallop beauties!  Beautiful dry packed scallops to give you that nice browned look when cooked and without the preservatives!



Voila!  The finished Mediterranean Scallps dish.  It was as yummy as it looks.


Observations from today are that first I had my first sugar cravings.  Not bad but mostly because I didn't plan correctly and eat enough for lunch.  Second, I am having no desire for alcohol at all which is the most surprising to me especially since this is day 5 and it's a weekend... Third, I'm happy that I am getting to not only eat better, but I'm finally using my camera to practice food photography, and actually posting photos every day.  All good!



Comments